DUI Lawyer - Columbia, SCServing Aiken, Columbia, Lexington, Newberry SC
Kent Collins is a DUI lawyer who represents people facing DUI charges in Columbia, SC. and the surrounding area including charges for:
- Driving under the influence (DUI);
- Driving with an unlawful alcohol concentration (DUAC);
- Felony DUI with great bodily injury or death;
- DUI license suspensions and implied consent hearings; and
- Child endangerment and other DUI-related charges.
When Your Livelihood is on the Line…
Kent Collins has a proven record of fighting DUI charges for his clients. People turn to Columbia DUI attorney Kent Collins because of his experience and determination to fight for his clients. He knows that the consequences of a DUI conviction can be serious, long-lasting, and unacceptable for most people.
A conviction for DUI in South Carolina can result in:
- Loss of employment;
- Steep fines;
- Suspension or even revocation of your license;
- Mandatory installation of an ignition interlock device on your vehicle; and
- A permanent criminal record that cannot be expunged.
Remember, you are being prosecuted by a trained professional whose job is to obtain convictions in DUI cases. Shouldn’t you also have a DUI defense lawyer in Columbia who has the training and experience it takes to get your case dismissed or go to trial when necessary?
You’ve Been Arrested, Now What?
A DUI arrest can be a traumatic experience for anyone who has not experienced it before. The possibility of a conviction by a trained solicitor who has made a career out of putting drunk drivers in jail can also be terrifying.
The officer, prosecutor, and probably the judge want you to plead guilty. They may not tell you that you will lose your license, that you may have to install an ignition interlock device, or that you must carry SR-22 insurance for at least three years. You are a number on a case file, and they want to close your case and move on to the next defendant.
You will need to move fast to retain a DUI defense attorney, request a jury trial if you are in the magistrate or city courts, and file the necessary paperwork to challenge any implied consent license suspensions. You need an experienced attorney on your side who can guide you through the complex rules of DUI defense in the criminal and administrative courts. Putting your case in the hands of a DUI defense attorney who cares is the best thing that you can do for your peace of mind.
Common Questions for DUI Lawyers in Columbia, SC
Is it possible to beat DUI charges?
Absolutely. No attorney can guarantee a result and every case is different, but our clients have had their DUI charges dismissed on pretrial motions, reduced to minor traffic violations, or had their charges dropped altogether.
Will a DUI conviction go in my record?
A DUI conviction is considered both a traffic offense and a criminal offense. A DUI conviction goes on your criminal record and, unlike other magistrate level offenses, it can never be expunged.
What if I refused to blow?
If you refuse to take the breathalyzer test, your license will be immediately suspended under South Carolina’s implied consent laws. Once we request an administrative hearing, you can then get a temporary license that allows you to drive until the hearing date.
What if I did blow?
If the result was greater than .15, your license is still immediately suspended pending the implied consent hearing. In either case, you must request the hearing within 30 days of your arrest.
Without question, retaining a DUI attorney in Columbia, SC is a big decision. With so many DUI attorneys in Columbia, S.C., it can be a challenge determining who’s the right fit for you.
Questions to ask a DUI attorney in Columbia, SC.
- How many DUI cases have you handled?
- What is your philosophy about going to trial or pleading guilty?
- What criminal defense or DUI organizations are you a member of?
- What type of DUI-specific training have you had?
Kent Collins is serious about DUI defense and is committing to providing the best defense possible to his clients. His experience and qualifications include:
- Handling thousands of criminal cases ranging from misdemeanors to felony charges including murder;
- Over seven years experience with DUI defense in private practice;
- Experience working as a prosecutor in Orangeburg and Lexington Counties;
- Active member of the South Carolina Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (SCACDL);
- Regularly attends ongoing training for DUI and criminal defense;
- List other crim def assoc’s, DUI defense assoc’s, speaking engagements related to DUI defense or crim def, etc.
Were You Arrested for DUI in Columbia, S.C.?
If you’ve been charged with a DUI, then you should speak with a DUI attorney in Columbia, SC right away. Not every case ends in conviction. Some steps involved are time sensitive so it’s important that you don’t delay.
If you’re ready to speak with a DUI attorney in Columbia, please set up a consultation by calling 803.808.0905 or by filling out our online contact form.